Re: Documentation every Database Shop should have

You could always use a network scanner like NMAP.

It will easily report all servers listening on port 1521.  If you want to
make it a little more clever, you only (!) need to define an NMAP "profile"
that allows it to recognise a SQLNET handshake, as it doesn't recognise
SQLNET out of the box.  (I don't personally know of anyone who has bothered,
but how hard could it be?)  ;-)  Once you've done that, it is comparatively
easy to find all (reachable) servers on your network running an Oracle
listener on any port.

Of course, you'd want to get approval from your network security people
before attempting this...  ;-)

On 11/7/06, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have. He's called Santosh :(.

It would be easy enough to write a little utility that achieved the
equivalent of the SQL Server utility and discovered all listeners that
advertised themselves on the default ports - or I guess you could install a
Grid Control agent on each server to achieve the same effect. The problem of
course is those servers that are configured on non-default ports - the
sqlserver utility last time I looked at it also didn't check ports other
than 1433 btw which is good practice for a detection utility, so long as one
remembers that automatic detection may fail for some systems.

cheers

On 11/7/06, Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am missing one piece of software which I think is a must.
> Sql server have a utility that locate all sql servers installed on the
> network.
> Does anyone know about such a utility for Oracle.
> The first step in documenting is knowing what you have.
>
> Adar Yechiel
> Rechovot, Israel
>

> --

Niall Litchfield