RE: Disk failover

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:50:51 -0700

        Why would someone tell you that?

        If that were true, then failover systems would not work.

Real "failover" systems don't failover the disk since they
have a CFS...the only thing that fails-over is the database
service...but I digress :-)

The answer is that Oracle knows nothing about physical disk.
If you unplug a disk, stick it into another system and
the file paths are the same once the filesystem is mounted,
Oracle is none the wiser...and this is good. Oracle is
an RDBMS...a relational database is the CONTENTS of files,
not files themselves and ceratainly not low-level
disk or disk blocks.

Oracle customers will benefit from all the attention
Oracle pays to manipulating file CONTENT...that is
the role of a database server ...

        Jared

        On 10/13/05, Mike Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                Hi All,

                Can someone please confirm for me the ability to unmount
a set of disks on
                Server A, mount those same disks onto Server B (Same
O/S, unique named
                disks), and bring up the database on server B.  I know I
have done this
                before, but I was just in a meeting where someone told
me that you can't do
                this with Oracle, and that they tested it.  This is with
9i by the way

                Thanks

        Jared Still