Diff between 11gR2 RAC on one node and Cold failover cluster

  • From: hrishy <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:21:43 +0000 (GMT)

Hi

I am trying to understand the difference between 11gR2 RAC on one node and Cold
failover cluster .

The OTN whitepaper on cold failover cluster by Philip Newlan says that
clusterware can be used to protect a single instance oracle database.

This implies there is no additional liscensing costs if we have already brought
Oracle EE .
But the paper also adds a warning that oracle will not support cold failover
cluster so i am in a kind of dilemma.

On the other hand RAC on one node is a extra cost option as i understand it on
top of EE.

My question then is
a)Is my understanding above correct
b)Anybody out there using cold failover cluster.

regards
Hrishikesh