Re: Diff between 11gR2 RAC on one node and Cold failover cluster

  • From: jason arneil <jason.arneil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:35:14 +0000

Hello,

I think your understanding is broadly correct, the database must not have
the RAC option installed it has to be single instance so you only license
one of the nodes.

The RAC One Node option does include additional features that are not
available to Single instance databases that are protected via clusterware
cold failover.

In particular the online rolling upgrades of the oracle homes of effectively
a single instance database with Rac One Node may be quite attractive.

Also being able to migrate to another machine online seems like a pretty
neat feature - heard that described as Omotion, hmm can't think which
virtualisation technology companies lunch they are trying to eat there.

It seems to me that it would sit in an availability/cost space between a
single instance database and having to license multiple machines.

jason.

--
http://jarneil.wordpress.com