RE: Backup VLDB's

  • From: hrishy <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Nizar Ahmed' <gnahmed.c@xxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 05:24:43 +0000 (GMT)

Hi

what's the fastest way to backup" is because I need read response time in
seconds on these huge tables. I do not want the RMAN backup window to run for
most of the day thereby putting a load on the overall system performance. We do
use block change tracking and run a differential incremental on weekdays to
keep the sizes of the backup small.

You basically have 2-3 options

a)Do incremental merges to a copy of the backup as i mentioned earlier as i
guess this is the path of least resistance since from your signature i can see
you are a telecom company this link might be helpful (http://bit.ly/8SCjg) you
might be able to convince your management easily.

b)EMC split mirror option if you decide to go that route

c)if you do not do nologging operations then use a physical standby and run
your backups from there but in order to take full advantage like block change
tracking file incremental merges etc you need to be on 11g.

reading this mail chain at thsi point of time my choice is a)
Not in choice you if things go wrong you dont restore from backup you switch to
the copy .

Choice a is not absolute but you need to do some testing and see if it meets
your specific requirements.