RE: Dataguard Exadata -> Database Appliance

  • From: "Bobby Curtis" <curtisbl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx>, <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 14:41:18 -0400

This has been an interesting thread.  With the adoption of engineered systems,
there comes more choices and flexibility.  As many have already pointed out;
using an Exadata for the primary and then a smaller platform (ODA or commercial
hardware) for DR will work.  The downside is that you will take a performance
hit not only in the features that Exadata provides (smart scans, etc), but more
with capacity and ability to meet customer demands.  I would have to ask, what
is your expected Service Level Agreement (SLA) for this environment?   Once
that is in hand, then drive towards a DR solution to match.

Ideally and if possible, the best approach would be to use Exadata on both
sides of the equation.  This is not always possible due to budgetary
constraints and often times proper solutions get downgraded.   Someone
mentioned it earlier and I agree with them; if this is the case, recommend
keeping a paper trail on the decision with regards to direction with DR.  It
will only protect you and help you if something was to happen and DR was needed
with/without the expect capacity.

Just my 2 cents.

Bobby