Dataguard Exadata -> Database Appliance

I was just asked by management whether it would be possible to run Dataguard
from Exadata (Primary) to a Database Appliance (Standby).  I can't think of a
reason why that wouldn't be possible.

I'm not sure that's the question they are actually asking though which is:
Would it be justifiable for us to save some money and run our standby on
cheaper hardware (and consequently software licensing)?

I don't think processing power differences will be a problem for quite some
time.  The biggest drawback I can think of is that all of a sudden you have to
keep OS/GI (running RAC)/RDBMS versions and patching at the same level.

What else am I not thinking of?  ...how bad of an idea is it?

I would have even really considered it as a possibility but then I don't pay
the bills or have to justify them either.

Thanks for any help with this.

Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by email reply.