Re: Database Owner Question (O/S)

  • From: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, srcdco@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 17:55:43 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Scott,

Is anyone doing this?
Yes, some of my clients are doing this in non SAP environments and it is also
state of the art in SAP environments for Oracle databases. Nothing
special at all.

Is it even supported?
Yes, it is. Check point "5.1.5.11 Creating an Oracle Software Owner User" in
the official Oracle documentation:
https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/LADBI/usr_grps.htm#BACCGGID

It seems to me that it would be a nightmare keeping track of the different
users that each database is running under.
You should have some naming conventions of course. For example something like
ORACLE_SID and OS user ora<ORACLE_SID>.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

Scott Canaan <srcdco@xxxxxxx> hat am 1. Oktober 2015 um 17:37 geschrieben:

We always install Oracle and create the databases under the O/S user oracle
in Linux. Our SA has decided that each database should be running
under its own user, not oracle. Apparently, this is possible. My questions
are: Is anyone doing this? Is it even supported? It seems to me that
it would be a nightmare keeping track of the different users that each
database is running under.

Scott Canaan ’88 (srcdco@xxxxxxx <mailto:srcdco@xxxxxxx> )

(585) 475-7886 – work (585) 339-8659 – cell

“Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into
it.” – Tom Lehrer