Re: DBA 101: SQLPATH on windows

  • From: Andy Klock <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 11:59:43 -0500

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have accumulated a large number of scripts that I like to keep somewhat
> organized.  For some reason I have to be explicit about each subdirectory in
> Windows but not in Linux.  That’s not really a problem until you start
> getting compulsive about organization and your SQLPATH string starts getting
> ridiculously long (I’m sure there’s a limit at some point).  I’d like to set
> SQLPATH registry value to “C:\sqlplus_scripts\” instead of explicitly
> listing the 20 or so subdirectories I have.

That's correct, but sqlplus won't automatically traverse SQL_PATH
sub-directories. You still need to explicitly call them, but SQLPATH
is the starting point. Consider how much searching would have to
happen if your SQLPATH was the same as your $ORACLE_HOME, for example.

I do this too (though not 20), and my fingers uncontrollably type tpt
now (i.e. @tpt/snapper) :)

Andy K