RE: Concurrent Clusterware

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:53:31 -0600 (CST)

<<-----Original Message-----
From: Bobak, Mark [mailto:Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
I agree w/ K Gopalakrishnan, running more than one version of clusterware,
while it may be technically possible, sounds like a really bad idea.
Clusterware can be rolling upgraded, and newer versions of clusterware
will support older versions of ASM database.  I currently have 11g CRS,
11g ASM running on a cluster with both 10g and 11g RAC databases running,
with no issues.

I can't think of any reason to run two versions of CRS on the same
cluster.>>

While I agree there may be no valid reason to do this on a given OS, I
have had clients with shared hosting needs and a desire to completely
segregate environments.  I think that situation would be a perfect
application of Oracle VM, and while I have not tried it, nor do I have any
plans to at the moment, this evaluation might lead down that path at some
point.

Now you'd have to wonder wether Oracle would support that;  the
documentation of their VM product seems to imply that it would!