Re: Best option for moving database of server

  • From: Ilmar Kerm <ilmar.kerm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 12:20:52 +0300

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Oliver <ofabelo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have to move a oracle database 10g (10.2.0.5.0) to another server, what
> would you recommend me that is the best option for doing it? Cloning
> database?
> Architecture will be the same in the source and target server, different
> distribution of Linux, but with same architecture (x86-64).
> I had thought install oracle 10.2.0.1 (I think that there isn't 10.2.0.5
> full install), I will have to install 10.2.0.5 patchset and then cloning
> database :-?
> I know transport tablespaces too ... and export/import. What would be the
> best option? Database is not large/great, and it isn't a important
> database, it can be stopped, although I don't want a large downtime.
> Thanks beforehand.
> P.D.: If you prefer cloning database, some manual about it?

Cloning is an option, but if you are in archivelog mode and using rman
backups, then you can also use them to minimize downtime.
Or if you are using Enterprise Edition, then Data Guard physical
standby is a good option and quite easy to set up using data guard
broker.
If you are on standard edition, then the same thing can be done
manually using RMAN... restore database from backup on new server, but
don't open it. This can be done before switching and while the old
database is still open. Until you are ready to switch, backup
archivelogs on old server, copy backup to new server, catalog backup
and recover database. If you are ready to switch then shutdown&mount
the old database, backup the final archivelogs (including online log)
and recover the database on new server and open the new server.

--
Ilmar Kerm