Re: Backup opinions

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:55:50 -0700

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyone here using Netbackup agent to backup
> their dbs directly to tape - without using
> a FRA?

Yes

> If so, what's your opinion of ease of logging and
> recovery, flexibility in being able to transfer
> backups to others dbs for refreshes, etcetc.

I've not had any issues with logging or recovery that could be attributed
to not using FRA.

DUPLICATE TARGET works for refreshing a database.
I have at times had issues getting this to work however.
That was on NBU 5.x, and were are now on 6.0 MP5.
I did a DUPLICATE TARGET a couple weeks ago without issue.

> Also: are you using archived redo logs in full
> recovery?

Yes, in addition to Level 1 incrementals.

> How does Netbackup then operate in a recovery
> situation?

Quite an open ended question, anything specific you are looking for?

> Only for 10g onwards users, please: I'm interested
> specifically in FRA vs Netbackup comments.

I can't really compare FRA to NetBackup directly, as I have not
made use of FRA.

That said, there have been some quirks with using NetBackup,
specifically the MML.

In either NBU 5.3 or 5.4, some changes were made to the MML
that require all RMAN commands and parameters to be in upper
case, unless it is something that should specifically be lower
case, such as a parameter value.

Not *all* commands really, but some things don't work if not UC.

For the most part, it has been quite reliable, and has never failed
in a production restore.  The only 'failures' I have experience were
in the DUPLICATE TARGET.  I didn't feel like dealing with Symantec
Support again on those issues, and just refreshed the database
the old fashioned way.

--
Jared Still