Re: Backup opinions

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:43:10 +1000

Thanks Jared and the others for the replies,
much appreciated.

Jared Still wrote,on my timestamp of 14/08/2008 3:55 AM:

DUPLICATE TARGET works for refreshing a database.
I have at times had issues getting this to work however.
That was on NBU 5.x, and were are now on 6.0 MP5.
I did a DUPLICATE TARGET a couple weeks ago without issue.

What happens if you have to re-destribute file
locations during the DUPLICATE TARGET.
For example: not the same file systems in
the AUXILIARY, have to move files to other?

IOW: is the full flexibility of the DUPLICATE command
and extra settings with an FRA still available?

    Also: are you using archived redo logs in full
    recovery?
Yes, in addition to Level 1 incrementals.

And are redo logs also being archived directly to
tape?

    How does Netbackup then operate in a recovery
    situation?
Quite an open ended question, anything specific you are looking for?

Lost system, need to recover to DR site with different
file system configuration.
How does the interaction between control files,
data and archived redo log files happen from
tape? Is it possible to PITR without any hassles?

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto