Re: Average physical read times

  • From: "LS Cheng" <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:04:32 +0200

Hi

IMHO average single block read time should be around between 4ms and 8ms
considering a 15K RPM SCSI Disk seeks time is around 4ms. Anything above
that doesnt sound too good for me. Lower sounds reading cache (either
filesystem or array).

Say the single block read of 11ms then for a query which needs over 10000
physical reads it will takes around 2 minutes. Query which reads 10000
physical reads isnt that unusual.

Thanks

--
LSC