RE: Average physical read times

  • From: "Milen Kulev" <makulev@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:44:11 +0200

Hallo Daniel,
You can easily get the distribution of physical read times very nicely
presented, if you use orasrp (version 3 is really
very good, it has text as well as html output):
http://www.oracledba.ru/orasrp/

11ms for a single block read is OK (not the best, but bear in mind that
everything < 4-7 ms (disk "response time"  is
dominated by 'average seek time', which in turn depends on the disk's RPMs) is
coming from the cache (disk cache,
storage box cache, controller cache, database cache etc). Everything depends on
the configurations of the
software/hardware stack you have. Useful URL:
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-solutions/calculate-expected-iops-per-disk-22717
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/asm/pdf/back%20of%20the%20env%20by%20nitin%20oow%202007.pdf
 , p.19
and 21

Furthermore performance depends on where the data physically resides.  A very
nice an enlightening reading about this
topic is http://oraperf.blogspot.com/2005/06/outer-edge-of-disk.html

Most common cause for varying latencies is the disk contention. You can check
this
On AIX with "nmon" tool and watch closely for disk contention and overloaded
disks (Disk%Busy > 20-25%)

HTH. Milen