RE: Anyone used 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Solaris Operating System (x86-64)

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:31:12 -0500

You hit it on the head, Bernard, with the 3rd-party support.  We'd be
running some of our smaller ancillary DBs on Solaris x86-64 (Opterons
rock!), except IBM has stated that they will not support a Tivoli backup
client for it.  As such, I'm stuck with a pair of very slow V100s.
Takes over a business day to build the 10g AS repository for OID
Naming...  :(

As far as gains that Solaris has over Linux for running Oracle, I don't
have to put up with RedHat's icky licensing, installation, and package
management.  And if I'm not mistaken, Mladen weren't you complaining
about kernel and/or memory management limitations in Linux in general
not too long ago?  If I could guarantee that Oracle Support would
support an installation on Gentoo (no Puschitz Linux help required --
Oracle just works on it), I'd consider it, but again only for "smaller"
DBs.  Our ERP's going to stay on good ol' Unix.

Rich