Re: Active/Passive "high availability"

  • From: "dd yakkali" <dd.yakkali@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:08:03 -0400

Peter,

we just put a similar sytem into a test phase

Here is our setup

2 Sun fire v240
Hitachi SAN, presented 3 LUNS to both the servers, installed oracle on both
nodes.
Oracle 9.2.0.8 and Solaris 10
created a filesystem /ora_data ( could have used raw as well, raw is better
from corruption issues stand point)
I had put all the datafiles on the file system.

my initxxx.ora contains spfile=/ora_data/xxx/spfilexxx.ora

I configured remote_listener=tnsentry which points to another hosts
listener. I run listener on both nodes

clients will have a tnsentry with both ipaddresses inthem. when ever a node
goes down, clients will make a connection to surviving node with out
changing any thing. The only manually step is to bring up the instance on
the other node.

We did some preliminary tests and seemed to be working fine. I copied the
password file across and we do not change password file contents frequently,
so that is not an issue.

Thanks
Deen

On 4/11/07, Schauss, Peter <peter.schauss@xxxxxxx> wrote:

My manager is proposing to cluster two Solaris 5.9 servers in order to
create a "high availability" solution.  At this stage he is a bit
unclear as to what software he would be using for the cluster, but he
does not envision purchasing any additional licenses from Oracle.  Our
Oracle version is 8.1.7.4.

His idea is to have an Oracle instance running on one box and a second
Oracle home on the second box, but not running.  In the event of a
failure on the active box, we would start the Oracle instance on the
other one to minimize down time.

Aside from my questions about what this configuration actually
accomplishes, my concerns would be:

-  Assuming that all of the data files are on the shared disk, would
this approach actually work?

-  The password file is normally stored in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.  If we have
two of them do they need to be synchronized?  Is there anything else in
the dbs directory which needs to be synchronized?

-  Would we risk corrupting our data if we accidentally started the
second instance?

-  Are there any Oracle licensing issues?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss