RE: AWR Licensing

  • From: "Tracy Rahmlow" <tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:30:12 -0500

Pete,
Your response triggered a question.   Could you please define
"non-production environment"?  Would a database created for development of
production applications be considered licensable?

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/28/2004 02:20 PM
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:     "Peter Ross Sharman" <PETER.SHARMAN@xxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject:        RE: AWR Licensing

Ah, my friend Mr. Jambu.  'Bout time you stopped lurking out there!  :)

Couple of comments.  Firstly, there IS something stopping you from
accessin=
g these things - something I know you have in abundance.  Those things are
=
called honesty and integrity.  ;)

And of course they are followed up by the license police.  It's the usual
O=
racle policy.  There is nothing in your license (if I understand it
correct=
ly, anyway) that stops you from using ANY functionality in a
non-Production=
environment.  Even the downloads off OTN are fully functioning, not term
l=
imited and so on.  But once you use that stuff in Production, if it's a
sep=
arately licensable option we expect your money, your wife, and your
daughte=
r (OK, it's really just the money we want).

And I would suggest this to everyone - particularly Darrell who I think
rai=
sed this point.  Try the packs out.  I think you'll find there is an
ENORMO=
US amount more in this stuff than 10046 and the Hotsos Profiler (not that
I=
mean to disparage the profiler, since Cary would kill me if I did!)

=

Pete
=

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
=

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA