Re: ASM vs Hardware RAID vs ASM + Hardware RAID

  • From: Ray Feighery <rjfeighery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:27:01 +1100

All

Thanks to all for the excellent posts and links.

On upgrading the server: There does not seem to be a HP DL 580 G6
model available, or any 4-socket box from HP that has the 5500
(Nehalem), although there is a 585 G6 with the AMD Opteron™ 8400
Series processors. Not sure how they measure up. From a pure compute
point of view, a 2-socket box with quad-core 5500 would still give a
2x improvement.
I hear what you are saying about Sun; we were a Solaris/Sun-only
company for years, but changed to Linux/HP and never regretted it.
Maybe it is time to reassess, but I like having only a few vendor
relationships to manage.
It's certainly something I will cost.

ASM seems to be generally thought of as a Good Thing. I like the idea
behind hardware mirroring and ASM striping. Basically, I will need to
decide on some hardware and then test a few different configurations.

Thanks again

Ray