Re: ASM rebalance estimates

  • From: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: karlarao@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:16:52 +0300

In my opinion it's much better to have the server work for a few hours than to have to take down the database and all the applications using it.

Harel Safra

On 09/09/2010 18:58, Karl Arao wrote:
Hi Dave,

The initial plan was to do ASM disk rebalance all the way (add & drop disk on a single command)... so we went on with the plan and once the command was executed we all noticed that the estimated time for a 150GB database was like 2 days!

This is very ideal for large array migration and the business allows for a minimal downtime window.. at a minimum one restart of the servers.. instead of doing a full array migration using ASM rebalance which will take longer and will make you worry if it's already finished or not and if you take this route the bottleneck would be your CPUs consuming IO time (on full throttle rebalance power 11) .. compared to SANCopy, it is all passing through the Fiber (1TB = 1hour as per the engineer) and much faster.. :)