Re: 32bit oracle on 64bit OS

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:10:52 -0600

I've done it and it seems to be working fine (crossing fingers).

I got a new 64 bit server, installed Windows Server 2003 64 bit on it,
then installed 11.1.0.6 (64 bit) on it, and then started trying to do
a RMAN DUPLICATE to the new box, since the docs said this was the
easiset way to go. After a week or so of fumbling around, I finally
gave and filed a SR with Oracle.

Finally they answered back and said even though the docs said it would
work, it doesn't due to a bug and to replace the 64 bit Oracle with 32
bit Oracle (same version), and then the RMAN DUPLICATE would work. I
tried it and it did work.

I don't know about your version, so you may not have the same problems
I originally did, but Oracle did know that I was going to be running
32 bit Oracle on a 64 bit Windows OS.

Hope this helps a bit.

--
-- Bill Ferguson