Re: 11g db shutdown oddity

  • From: Maureen English <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:22:53 -0900

I found the following website while searching for this error:

http://jhdba.wordpress.com/2009/06/25/bug-8525592-sga-memory-leak-during-db-shutdown/

Here are more details from that post:
Now this was appearing on an 11.1.0.7 database on HPUX Itanium and it is the only instance out of around 25 where it is appearing. Co-incidentally we have a memory leak on that server and we have an ongoing SR open with Oracle. I have alerted my colleague who owns that SR and he will talk to Oracle and see if there is any match between the two issues.

In the meantime I have been able to get a bit more information on what bug 8525592 is about. Apparently it is not a serious issue and isn’t really a memory leak. It’s to do freeing up shared pool when there are multiple subpools. If there are child/parent handles split between subpools, it’s possible for the parent one not to be cleared properly. In normal operation there’s a houskeeping routine that SMON does periodically that sorts this out but if the database is shutdown before that runs, it looks like a memory leak. It’s only in 11.1.0.x and is not considered serious. Bug 8525592 leads me to bug 8586531 and base bug 7453413

At least I'm not alone...and maybe I don't need to panic....

- Maureen

Maureen English wrote:
I upgraded some of our databases to 11g recently.  All but one get
restarted weekly.  The one that doesn't get restarted weekly, gets
restarted sporadically.  The last time it was restarted I noticed
that the alert log had messages that a trace file was generated on
shutdown.

The trace file has the normal shutdown info, but then it has a
system state dump.  There is a ton of info, then a line that
says END OF SYSTEM STATE and then more info...including a line with
the following:

******** ERROR: SGA memory leak detected 464 ********

This looks pretty nasty to me...has anyone else seen something like
this happen?

I'm planning to restart this database tonight to see if we have the
same thing happen.  I've also got an open SR with Oracle.

I'm hoping that this is really just an application problem....

Any comments?

- Maureen