RE: 1 minutes: best downtime story

  • From: Brian Pardy <brianpa@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:51:34 +0000

Resending to list due to over-quoting.

What went down: State government data center shared by agency of human services
and agency of natural resources, with a thousand employees on site.

Why it went down: Data center placed in basement of building near river in
floodplain; tropical storm (nee hurricane) Irene comes to visit.

Lesson learned, besides the obvious?  A secondary data center, to be populated
by the hardware your techs Sawzall'd out of flooding racks, has only as much
utility as you have alternate work locations for the users.