[optimal] Re: scientific session, anyone ?

  • From: "Egnatz, Thomas James" <tegnatz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 16:13:58 -0400

Jeremy,

In regards to Kodalith, I hardly ever touched the stuff. When I
started to work at IU with the late Ken Julian in 1975, he had a quick
and dirty system. Process the Kodak Tri-X in D-11 in a Merz processor
(pushed to about ASA 1200), and then hang the strips in a film drier.
The uncut negatives were then projected on a screen about 4-5 feet wide
using a filmstrip adapter on a Kodak Carousel projector.

The reason it was done this way was because the best way to read a
fluorescein angiogram was to READ THE NEGATIVE! You wanted good but
not excessive contrast.
No dust and fingerprint artifacts, no excessive contrast, no early
images blown out because the Kodalith did not have any tonal range.
Plus, it was many times faster than making contact sheets or prints.
The JOPS has articles about those fun days in the darkroom our younger
members might want to look at.

Anyway, to paraphrase Robert Duvall, I sure don't miss the "Smell of
fixer in the morning!"

Tom

Quoting Jeremy Pantell <jpantell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

The darkroom was a great place.  What was learned there was a great
basis for knowing how to correctly manipulate digital.  Further, the
docs Henry Malpica and I worked for in the '70s  were members of The
Fluorescein Club, which would meet at the AAOO.  At said meet cases
would be presented and Kodalith proof sheets exchanged.. I know,
what's Kodalith.  Anyway, many many of these proof sheets, from major
institutions, were rife with photographic errors.  Excessive
detail-obscuring contrast, dust, negative strips out of postion.  It
seemed that many photographers, who undoubtably were excellent in
most parts of the job could not cope in the darkroom.  Trying to
"fit" those high contrast/push processed negative sets onto a high
contrast positive really separated the men from the boys.  Women from
the girls?  And let us not forget how many practices switched from
film to digital and photogs to secretaries at the same time.  I guess
that my soapbox should join me in retirement.  I just feel very
strongly about this subject.  D'ya think.
jeremy p. pantell bfa cra

On Monday, June 1, 2015 2:09 PM, Eric Kegley
<ekegley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What a moron I am!! I guess I can blame the darkroom as well. I
worked in it for 10 years before we made the switch to
digital. Thanks,EK Eric Kegley, CRA, COA Director of Ophthalmic
ImagingRetina Consultants of Houston 6560 Fannin St., Suite 750
Houston, TX 77030   Main    713 524-3434Direct   713
394-7531Fax        713
524-3220www.houstonretina.comwww.facebook.com/RetinaConsultantsofHouston