Optacon Repairs in Canada

  • From: "Clinton Miller" <clinton.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 15:36:46 -0400

Catherine informs me that there are a few people in Canada having trouble
getting their Optacons repaired.  One fellow who repairs them is:
Fred Stam
Intelligent Access Microware
193 Cooper ST
London ON CANADA
N6H 2C5
Phone: (519) 679-4828
E-mail: service@xxxxxxxxx

Fred also repairs Braille displays, and note-takers, and very likely other
stuff, too.  I can vouch for his good work, since he has successfully repaired
two Optacons for me.

I have pasted in below my recent E-mail to Fred and his response to it.  Please
note his caveat, namely, that parts are becoming more and more scarce for
Optacons.  I know he can replace the battery pack, do cleanings, etc.  The rest
depends on what is wrong and what parts are available.

Here comes the E-mail response:

Hi Clinton
Yes we still do repairs on these and many other products.
We have a good stock of parts for  the Powerbraille, the older Navigator
as well as all the Blazie note takers. However there is limit to the
kinds of repairs we can do on Optacons because parts are so scarce now.
Fred Stam
Intelligent Access Microware
(519) 679-4828
service@xxxxxxxxx