Inappropriate posting to lists

  • From: Sam Rossier <samuu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 23:23:55 -0400

Whoops, Catherine.  This is one area in which I must respectfully
disagree with you.  As critical as I believe it is to get as much
information from as many sources as possible and further, to engage
as many people as possible in the effort to keep the Optacon alive,
off topic postings to email lists is overstepping the bounds of
etiquette and, frankly, is offensive to me.  And putting the phrase,
"off topic" in the subject line does not ameliorate the
discourtesy.  Some list owners tolerate this sort of behavior and
others do not, so I would urge people to post to lists as you
describe only if they are sure that doing so is commonly accepted on
that list.  Otherwise, I would offer the following alternative
approach.  If the list has anything at all to do with blindness, then
almost certainly a post that refers to both the Optacon and to the
subject of the list can be crafted.  Make a comment, ask a question,
and weave the Optacon into your post.  Please, be considerate of list
subscribers and list managers.

Sam