[optacon-l] Hello from new user and few questions

  • From: Grzegorz Zlotowicz <grzezlo@xxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:59:27 +0200

Hi.
I'm Greg from Poland, new user of optacon r1d for several days.
I'm trying to use it for looking at electronic and math drawings which
possibly could help at my studies...
Looking at this list archives, I found an interesting thread about
removing battery from Optacon, explained in some details by Richard
Oehm, so I know about necessity of changing the power suply after
accumulator removal.
Unfortunately I live too far from California and even UK, so sending my
optacon for this change would be too expensive, but I know some skilled
electronic technician who could manage to do it.
My question: is such change straight forward, or maybe there are some
specific things he should know about?
Maybe somebody has some drawings illustrating the modification, if it is
more complicated?
Nex thing: I found somewhere a program which used communication cable
between computer and Optacon; somewhere else I found a message about
which socked Optacon uses as it's I/O port, and some links there pointed
to a pdf with drawing showing how it should be connected to make it
possible to control the Optacon from software. Unfortunately, the links
were broken, but maybe somebody has the files?
I'd like to have an Optacon connected to the computer via a usb to
serial converter, so I could write or adapt some program to show the
graphical files on optacon...

I know about the special camera for crt monitors, but don't know how
would it work with nowadays displays, and I'm not sure if I'll be able
to find such accesory.

And last question, does somebody know about the Videotim3 device - is it
sold or prototype at the moment, and if available - how is the price of it?
http://www.abtim.com/home__e_/the_videotim/the_videotim.html

Greetings, Greg.