[optacon-l] Re: From Peggy Covey

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:36:57 -0700

Peggy, that's a great story. I have met blind people, usually much younger
than me, who had never heard of the optacon. They were surprised that it
exists, and weren't sure how it would fit into their lives. I remember one
who had lost his sight as an adult and used speech and never learned braille
and had no desire to, because he was comfortable with speech. He wrote well,
spelled well, probably due to his having sight in the past; but he thought
of the optacon as something he didn't need and probably never would use.

Mary