Finding the Relative Size

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 20:43:18 -0400 (EDT)

This is another unique use of the Optacon. We can compare one character to
another. We can feel for ourselves the differences between capital and
small letters. If we print two pages in teo different fonts, we can
compare the readability of the print size-wise. We can decide that
something might not scan because the print is so blurry or so very close
together. We can actually feel the slant of italic print and determine for
ourselves which words an letters are italicized.
We can feel the length of a signature line to figure out how much space
there is to write in. If there is a vertical line, we can decide if it's
part of a picture or if it separates columns of text. If the line does not
extend down the whole page we can figure out why. Is there a picture at
the bottom?
We can squeeze in between grid lines to read the informatin they contain.
Some of these tasks are not easy but they do contribute to our
independence and to our understanding of the realities of our world.
Catherine