[opendtv] Re: Well, well, well; five years to match 1999 COFDM indoor antenna performance

  • From: "John Golitsis" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:59:17 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "dmenolan" <dmenolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> HD will be introduced in the UK in two years time by Sky: probably 720P,
> probably MPEG4 Part 10, and probably DVB-S2. In my view this is the corre=
> ct
> course of action as being subscription based the DBS HD business model is=
> no brainer (first-run movies, premium sports, imported general
> entertainment), the target market is high-income early adopters and as yo=
> need a new box anyway best to use state-of-the-art technologies not syste=
> ms
> devised twelve years ago!.
>
>  The introduction of HD via DTT in the UK  will not come till after
> analogue television has been shutdown which depends on a resolution of th=
> 'aunt emily' and multiple tv set problems, which could be anytime between=
>
> 2008 and 2020 depending on the business model and the electoral issues.

Yes, makes perfect sense...buy an EDTV widescreen today and have to buy a new
HDTV widescreen tomorrow.  Yup, it's all about technology AND economics alright!

> It is also clear that mobile reception will be introduced in the UK,

Hmm...I thought you told us that mobile was perfectly workable 5 years ago.

> What would have happened if 8VSB had been ditched in 2000, rather than
> spending nearly five years to develop high-end silicon solutions to match=
>
> the 1999 performance of static indoor antenna  reception via  DVB-T?

Perhaps we would have been where you are now.

Lots of viewers stuck in the technological past.