[opendtv] Re: Well, well, well; five years to match 1999 COFDM indoor antenna performance

At 12:30 PM -0400 8/24/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>That's all well and good, but they don't ACCEPT an HDTV signal.  What's the
>point of upgrading to an HD receiver if you must convert HD to ED to
>accommodate
>your display?

Because that the the native resolution of the display. Providing more
resolution in a display of this size is a waste of time and money -
the viewer will not notice the difference at the designed viewing
distance.

>>  Remember, you can't see the added detail in an HDTV signal ( at
>>  typical viewing distances) until you get to screen sizes above 40
>>  inch diagonal.
>
>Perhaps, but try telling that to the owners of these sets.  Wouldn't
>make a very
>attractive marketing campaign.

How about telling them that they will enjoy the highest resolution
pictures possible with their sets. Almost twice the resolution of
SDTV.

It is important to note that most of the widescreen sets sold in
Europe can scan at 100 Hz, thus they can support 576P. As has been
the case for decades with PAL versus NTSC, 625 lines with improved
color difference signals, will provide better pictures that 525
lines. This is true whether we are talking about 625 line SDTV or
EDTV.

>>  Less than that and EDTV is just fine, as you can see
>>  in most CE retail outlets that carry the new Samsung EDTV receivers.
>
>What Samsung EDTV receivers are you referring to?

The 30" Color Dynaflat I saw at Sears for about $850:

  Sears item #05742084000 Mfr. model #TX-P3075WH

B&H  sells it for $899. The specs claim a maximum of 800 lines
horizontal resolution:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=334539&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo