[opendtv] Re: Walled Garden?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:21:30 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/23/business/media/23couch.html?th&emc=th

> "To keep customers, especially the price-sensitive ones, the carriers
> are getting creative. They are trying to bring the living-room
> experience to every other screen in a customer's home, including
> laptops and tablets. Last week Verizon became the latest carrier to
> announce plans for an app that puts live TV on the iPad, pushing out
> the walls of cable TV's walled garden a bit "
>
> For Bert (and Kon too)...
>
> If Apple's iOS platforms are so closed (as Bert says, walled gardens),
> how is it that another walled garden can leverage them so easily?

Who told you it was easy? If it had been easy, why is Apple STILL threatening
users with legal action, if they dare use the equimpment they buy as they
darned well please? Even after being told by the courts to lay off?

Referring to the rethink-wireless article I just now posted, can you imagine GM
coming after you with a horde of lawyers, if you dared replace the brake pads
on your GM car with Brembos, or their seats with Recaros? Sound pretty absurd
to me.

The article you posted here is making the point that getting unwalled TV from
the Internet is not a very likely proposition. That has also been my experience
of many years at this. Not for US TV, not for foreign TV in the US.

All you posted here was an example of a walled garden walling in its content
when sent over the Internet, and using another partially walled-in appliance
(the iPad) as one of the options. Big deal, Craig.