[opendtv] Re: VHF Stations Seek Solutions for Reception Problems, by Doug Lung

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:58:10 -0400

Dale Kelly posted:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/83128

Doug Lung always has interesting insights. One of them is use of
circular polarization.

The situation here, specifically with WJLA-TV on VHF Channel 7, has been
steadily improving at our location. I wish I knew what they had done.

From no reception on the 12th at noon, to constant pixellation and no
sound that same evening, to sound with constant image problems in the
days that followed, last week we finally got solid reception in the
upstairs system (the one with RS double bowtie and 3rd gen receiver),
and last night I got virtually solid reception donwstairs too (the dual
Antenna Direct DB4s in fireplace).

Only minor adjustments done at our end. A slight turning of the RS
antenna upstairs, and a bit of VHF relector assistance downstairs.

When it works, VHF is nice for its consistency. It seems that whatever
the reception quality is tends to remain the same over long periods of
time. Compared with UHF, when operating close to the margin, which tends
to drop off entirely then come back.