[opendtv] Re: VHF Stations Seek Solutions for Reception Problems, by Doug Lung

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:24:56 -0400

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

> A couple bad tests with DTV at WRAL and KCIU apparently trumped a
> dozen positive on-air tests with analog:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/67946
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1845203
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.
ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F30%2F17220%2F00793638.pdf&authDecision=-203

Seems to me that in 1999, the time of the WRAL tests, ATSC reception was
considered something to be done primarily with outdoor antennas.
Receivers were probably bad enough that any improvement offered indoors,
by circular polarization, was lost in the noise.

One would expect horizontal polarization to be best for long range,
where you're counting on some ionospheric skip, and vertical to be best
for signals reflected from buildings and for those who use whip antennas
with their receivers (e.g. as cars used to do before the antennas became
embedded in windows). Of course, CP should also work best for those with
random receive antenna polarizations, like mobile appliances.