[opendtv] Re: Start-up glitches

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:43:32 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What I find really interesting in all of this is how the powerful=20
> interests are using the legal system, legislation and regulation to=20
> control their destiny. We are now looking at the very real=20
> possibility that virtually everything that touches media bits will be=20
> regulated. We are looking at consumers spending billions of dollars=20
> to protect these bits so that the entrenched interest can be propped=20
> up.

I also remember the early days of not just e-mail, but also the usenet. =
This is before 1991, before the Internet was allowed to become =
commercialized. The nice thing about those early days was that the =
Internet was still used more as a research and collaboration tool, less =
as another just avenue for spam.

The reason the legals get involved is simple: abuse of a good thing. =
When a good things becomes abused too much, the public demands action =
from legislators. The same thing happened to the telephone. Abuse a good =
thing too much, with junk calls all day long, and legal action follows. =
I could list any number of times this has happened, and always the =
reasons were obvious.

The same thing happens all the time with advances in technology. A new =
technology becomes very popular, so everyone can use it, and abuse is =
sure to follow.