[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm on Channel 55

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:21:46 -0400

Rob Koenen wrote:

> MPEG-4 Transport Streams? Do they actually exist? I'd
> love to know more.

I think this thread snowballed out of control.

Here's what Bob had actually said:

> From: Bob Miller=20
> To: opendtv=20
> Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:58:33 -0400
> Yes but the strangeness emanates from the fact that
> broadcasters passed on developing their OTA spectrum
> for actually broadcasting. They seem content with
> ancient 8-VSB and MPEG2 technology with no thought to
> mobile on their spectrum while spending all their
> efforts on multicast must carry.

MPEG-2 is mentioned without reference to TS. Of course,
just because MPEG-2 is not today's media darling doesn't
make it bad, and 8-VSB is newer than n-QAM, and yet QAM
isn't bad either.

And there's nothing stopping adoption of AVC in ATSC
anyway.

Out of curiosity, is anything stopping broadcasters or
conglomerates from bidding on channels 52 and up for
service to handheld devices?