[opendtv] Re: Pro a la carte, Another Perspective

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:14:50 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I think various community affairs programs are already forced
> upon cable one way or another, for free, and would continue to
> do so under a la carte.

Prob'ly so, as you and John point out. But obviously Jonathan Adelstein,
in addressing the 70/70 rule recently, and certain special interest
groups he was siding with, were worried about a la carte. So to me this
says that even if certain channels of limited appeal would be forced on
the cable companies, perhaps there are too many such limited appeal
channels to be properly safeguarded, without the possibility of
bundling.

Including, for example, the "starving producer" productions that Craig
keeps lamenting about.