[opendtv] Re: Philips ClearLCD technique for motion sharpness

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:06:20 -0500

At 5:22 PM +0100 1/20/05, jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>It's not about the "chips", it's about the row and column drivers
>and especially the TFT switches on the panel. If you try to drive
>them too fast then there will be all sorts of image artefacts.
>Worse: these artefacts may show up (or increase) over time.
>So it takes more than just faster silicon to increase the speed.
>The developments are going the right way, but they can also be used
>for making larger screens. Just not for both at the same time...

Why not improve the on-board pipes to make it possible to refresh all
pixels at the same time instead of using scanning techniques? Just
curious.

>I thought that you proposed to erase some magic numbers from the
>standards in order to allow arbitrary frame rates. I warn against
>that because I know that there are LCD panels that will work at
>ONLY 60 Hz. Same with PDPs, they are really optimized for only 1
>or 2 frame rates. Your own DLP RPTV might even have this feature...

There are no magic numbers Jeroen. The display is decoupled from the
source. It is the job of the local image processor to scale the
source to meet the needs of the attached display.

I agree that this could lead to formats that exceed the capabilities
of some displays. But this is ALREADY true, as we now sell displays
with SD, EDTV and HD resolutions, and expect the source from all of
these formats to be presented properly on ALL display types and
resolutions.

If we do move to frame rates higher than 60 Hz, you can do temporal
downsampling. Either cheap and dirty by dropping frames, or more
expensive using a frame rate processor like True Motion.