[opendtv] Re: Philips ClearLCD technique for motion sharpness

  • From: jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:21:44 +0100

Hi,

Tom Barry wrote:
> It would also seem to be the perfect stituation for making copies of
> movies by pointing a 720p camcorder at the TV.  With all the DRM hoopla
> these days is there anything that prevents this on these displays?

As they say: "if you can see/hear it then you can tape it".
Watermarking would only help to identify the leak, not to
prevent the copying. I've once heard of an effort to stop
taping of movies in the theater, with handicams. I forgot what
the trick was, maybe it had something to do with flashing an
infrared light, to which the CCDs are sensitive.

Craig Birkmaier:
> So the bottom line is that LCD panels exhibit a behavior that is
> similar to that of other constant illumination displays, but they
> are scanned much like CRTs.

Have we discussed any other constant illumination displays
that are NOT scanned like CRTs ? Plasmas and DLPs, with their
pulse width modulation organised in subfields, can hardly be
called constant illumination displays ! Not even to mention
the color sequential subfields, with the color wheel.

The only reason why they (plasma and DLP) are addressed so
quickly is because they have to be addressed so many times
repeatedly within one frame period. This means that you won't
be able to identify the slow top-to-bottom scanning anymore,
but for that you will be treated to several other interesting
(motion) artefacts...

I just saw photos of the Epson stand on the CES, where they
promoted their "3LCD" by aggressively comparing it with DLP.
Especially the rainbow effect and the dithering were attacked.
I mean, compared with that, the scanning is the least evil.

We have unpacked a certain competitor set, very high-end,
with a high-power (literally) LED backlight. Interesting...

Best,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx    |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | PHILIPS Applied Technologies           |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2    |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands  |
| Pager:    ++31.6.65133818     | Website: http://www.pdsl.philips.com/  |