[opendtv] Re: OCAP - will it continue to move forward

  • From: Bill Sheppard <Bill.Sheppard@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:31:03 -0700

[formatting corrected]

Wilms wrote:

>Bill Sheppard wrote:
>

>>>Like Java's run once, debug everywhere. Processor and flash-restricted STBs
>>>require a very different set of assets and code finetuning to some bloated
>>>STB with a fat CPU and capability to run VMs and display high-resolution
>>>images.
>>>

>>Java's "debug everywhere" reputation is far less accurate in well-defined
>>industry markets, such as MIDP 2.0/JTWI for mobile phones or MHP/OCAP for DTV.
>>

>You said the magic phrase 'well-defined'. I translate that to mean
>'restricted to'. Hence the assertion of 'run once debug everywhere' is
>correct.

You might choose that translation, but it's not relevant.  Java spans
from 8-bit microcontrollers to 64-bit CPU's.  To expect the same
application to run across this breadth of hardware is neither realistic
nor useful.

>In terms of these platforms that a Java application is restricted to,
>will the same application that runs on a Nokia NGage run on a Siemens
>C55? Both use 'Java Technology'

Many applications will.  And were these phones compliant with more
recent industry-defined specifications, such as MIDP 2.0, a much larger
selection of applications would be compatible without specific debugging
effort.

>They will, but only if you debug separately on both platforms. To make a
>  Java application run well on both without modification you have to
>include assets for both platforms in the binary (we can't assume that it
>will be on the phone), dumb down the VM to the lowest common denominator
>(maybe pay a license fee), make sure we only use calls that are
>available on both systems,

Using calls that are available on both systems means sticking to the
platform specification.  Of course if you go beyond the spec you're
going to introduce incompatibilities!  OCAP defines a much broader range
of capabilities than MIDP 1.0; going beyond the specification will be
much less likely to be necessary and may not be tolerated by the operators.

> and have sections of code devoted to munging
>and optimizing the user experience on each platform. Thats a lot of
>work, and I can see why there are companies out there in the business of
>providing this service or providing their own VMs.
>
>I've had my fun with using Java on PocketPCs - I think this 'getting
>started' list proves the sheer horror best (note this list is outdated,
>the list is much larger at current crack -- and *only* partly addresses
>PocketPC devices):
>
>http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/fittond/ppcjava.html

And proves my point.  The chart indicates VM's implementing more than
four completely different Java specifications targetting completely
different devices, plus VM's which have not passed any proper Java test
suite.  MHP and OCAP have extensive test suites which all devices will
be required to pass; no ambiguity about what specification is being
implemented.  This makes for a far more consistent environment for
developers.  Of course, memory, CPU, graphics capabilities, and the like
will still vary from box to box, but the vast majority of OCAP
applications will run across all boxes with little-to-no debugging
across devices.