[opendtv] Re: Two-way plug-&-play

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:12:48 -0400

At 11:45 PM -0700 10/11/04, Bill Sheppard wrote:
>Sorry, I should have qualified that as "most new sets" will be OCAP
>compliant.  Of course it'll take time before it's a meaningful chunk of
>the installed base, but even a few million sets, coupled with OCAP boxes
>deployed by the cable companies, will be enough to get the content flowing.

Do you seriously believe that OCAP is going to emerge as the basis
for interactive television?

I see no evidence of this ANYWHERE in the world (i.e. MHP is not
creating much of a splash in Europe). And DASE is a total joke.

It seems that the CE guys (and major content distributors like cable
MSOs) continue to believe that they can overcome the inertia of the
software tools that are emerging from the Internet and PC platforms.

As consumers (continue) to migrate to progressive display
technologies, the barriers to real convergence are crumbling. It's
ludicrous to believe that an industry (even one as powerful as the TV
industry) can control the evolutionary path of digital media
technologies, especially when they continue to firmly grasp a failing
(but still profitable) business model.

Talk about a pipedream!