[opendtv] Re: News: Sirius Founder Says Company Won't Be Able To Compete

  • From: "Fred Urrutia" <fredu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:58:18 -0400

I lurk here for maybe 5-6 years now and only wrote a couple of times, but
enjoy reading the traffic.

I love my XM and just today renewed a long term license on one receiver with
a $399 lifetime subscription.  Several family members have XM receivers
under our plan and they only pay $6.99/mo and I might lock a couple of them
into 2-3 year plans next week before the rates are elevated to $8.99 for the
secondary plans.  The decision to buy the lifetime on XM was to replace a
prior 5-year license that was $599 about to expire.

I happen to think the Sirius founder is right about the competition via
wireless services, eventually it will become difficult to continue such
services at their rates versus competitions from others.  But I plan to
enjoy my XM until the service dies off or I can get a cheaper service in the
car.

For me doing windshield time or working/chillin' around the house, I find XM
more fun than most FM or AM content and shift between comedy, old time
radio, news, decades (all of them!), MET opera, classical, dance, Calliente,
and maybe 20 other stations.  I love having such a wide range of content,
less advertising and no dopey rambling of commercial radio.

I don't doubt there will be a lot of wireless IP available most anywhere in
the next few years, hopefully even where I live in the sticks of NY State
where there is ONLY DirecTV and Wildblue or other satellite services, no
DSL, no cable, etc.  Only thing close to broadband is satellite and that is
a far cry from the services available most suburban/urban places at rates of
50% or less than we must pay.

I bought a $250 lifetime subscription from TiVo back in 1999 or so and glad
I did that even though that device is now in secondary service since I
upgraded to a dual tuner DirecTV HD box.  My lifetime TiVo gets me lifetime
on the newer DVR at no monthly fee due to the TiVo / DirecTV agreements from
way back.  A year ago I slapped a couple large drives into my old TiVo (1st
generation Philips box) to get ~350 hours SD storage capacity and replaced a
defunct cooling fan, but as long as the device lives it saves me money and
stores tons of SD content in another room of the house.

Several of you know me, hello to all...

Regards,
Fred Urrutia