[opendtv] Re: News: NCTA: HBO's Zitter Says DRM Is Misnomer

  • From: "Hughes Gary-DJWV76" <ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 00:05:51 -0400

> Possibly HBO falls under a different set of rules from
> broadcast (H)DTV programs. But the idea that HD STBs with
> whatever digital outputs are intended to provide copy
> protection is misleading, I think.
>
> With respect to broadcast TV specifically, which certainly
> also applies to these same HD STBs, the FCC and the courts in
> general do NOT PERMIT copy protection. So whether the signal
> is analog or digital, the only restriction is in the
> INDESCRIMINATE REDISTRIBUTION of the material. Here are some
> key points made by the FCC on this matter:

HBO does fall under a different set of rules than broadcast.

For a while now they have been sending descriptors in PMT that cause the
set top to assert copy restrictions on the various outputs including
HDCP on the DVI/HDMI outputs, disabling the firewire output and CGMS-A
on the analog outputs. Most premium content providers are doing this,
not just HBO, but they are the 500lb gorilla of content.

It is possible that CGMS-A doesn't apply to component output, I suppose.
That may explain the current fuss, but as I said earlier HD encoding
from component is not an inexpensive option.

gary

Gary Hughes
Video Architect, Advanced Engineering
Motorola On Demand Solutions, MA34