[opendtv] Re: News: NCTA: HBO's Zitter Says DRM Is Misnomer

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 23:58:54 -0400

I worked briefly with a PC real time MPEG-2 encoder card at one job last fall and it supposedly cost over $10000. But I don't think the pirates would bother with something like that.

It is still questionable whether the two hidef DVD formats are permanently cracked but it is certainly true that most currently release discs are appearing on the Internet in unencrypted form. These are usually in original form sans encryption or as slightly softer 720p re-encoded files.

There was supposed to be a new release of security at the end of April that would temporarily stop this but I don't think it happened. However I sort of stopped following the issue so I'm not sure.

But it seems likely professional pirates would prefer an all digital path and not be much interested in a real time MPEG-2 encoder card or analog inputs.

Home consumer users like me however are very dependent upon current component inputs, just to watch stuff. I generally detest HDMI with its extra complexity, restrictions, licenses, incompatibilities, and bugs.

- Tom

John Shutt wrote:
Not yet, but there will be. Currently HD capable MPEG encoders cost several thousands dollars. But a decade ago SD MPEG encoders cost that much but today are dirt cheap chipsets.

But I read that someone cracked Blu-Ray and HD-DVD encryption already anyway, and there was a big to-do over at Digg about it.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

I am not aware of any consumer equipment that provides HD analog component inputs for recording. I may be wrong, as it would be possible to do this on Blu Ray or HD-DVD, however I think that they are specifically not allowing this feature on High Def DVD recorders. So the only way to record this stuff is with professional HD recording formats...easy for a well funded pirate, but very difficult for a consumer.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx