[opendtv] Re: News: Microsoft, Philips Offer New White Space Test Results

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:01:13 -0700 (PDT)

Depending on a "third party" phone, DSL, SAT or even Cable network to verify
location
is a can or worms.

Since WSD devices presumably are a low-cost BB entry device, access to the
I-N prior to net entry would probably be
via dial-up phone access--which isn't very
promising to verify location.

You give a good example for how a DSL connection couldn't verify your location.
[But wouldn't a ping/trace reveal a nearby router? I use "Ping Plotter".]

On TWC-SD, I can see two (IP addr only label) routers that are only a couple ms
away  and then a series of san.rr.com labeled routers that are 10's of ms away.

So in theory, WSD should be able to verify I'm where I say I am...presuming
they had a
database to identify where all the routers in the U.S. are located---that's not
gonna happen.

But if I use my VOIP phone to setup WSD via dial-up connection, ambiguity is
huge....

Seem any sort of geo-verification will have to be built into the
devices---which is okay
for a BB Service provider application, but for the home W-L Router app. some
sort
of "beacon" service would be needed.....

These aspects don't seem to be adequately addressed in FCC filings (still
plowing
through them)....my head is swirling again.....

holl_ands

===============================
John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:
#ffffff;color: black;}  So, we devolve long and latitude exactly how when
indoors?  When I go on Earthlink at my mother's house in San Diego (she gets
DSL and phone from earthlink), and then visit my web site, it tells me my
physical location is in Los Angeles, specifically out of LSANCA 54, which is
the switch where Covad  provisions out DSL service for Earthlink customers in
San Diego.
 Of couse, the CO serving my mother's house is SNDGCA, indeeed I think it's
ULLI is SNDGCA54.  So, a (putative) WSD that used information from my IP
address would prevent me from transmitting on channels 2,7, 9, etc.  However,
those channels are usable in San Diego (most civilized areas), but this won't
prevent me from interfering with local channels.
 We'll just have to trust the users to accurately know their location, just
like all those (formerly) infringing users of DIshNetwork reported their
locations for local-into-local.  Or, they reported the locations that they
wished they were at.  Either case, it will ony interfere with tv reception of
others and possible loss of life.
 No biggie.

John Willkie