[opendtv] Re: News: Many Obstacles to Digital TV Reception, Study Says

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:42:24 -0500

I even have a rooftop rotor antenna but have not watched an NTSC OTA show in years. Though I do keep a small portable set around that can easily be run on backup power in event of a power failure.

But I have never used it that way.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 10:35 AM -0500 2/11/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 And now reality begins to set in...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/11/technology/11analog.html?_r=1&th&emc=t
h&oref=slogin

 Many Obstacles to Digital TV Reception, Study Says

Journalists do like to go for the high drama.

I'm sure it's true that some rabbit ear users will lose reception of
some channels, especially if their analog reception was poor for those
channels. The opposite is also true, as in our case. The TV depending on
rabbit ears now gets "perfect" reception of channels that used to come
in with strong interference or ghost.

Count yourself lucky. As I recall, however, I think you have said that you use a separate UHF antenna (possibly in the attic). Is this the case, or do you rely exclusively on rabbit ears?

The "reality is," as Giuliani likes to say, it will be a mixed bag. The
better receivers are, the more it will favor digital reception.

Sorry Bert, but power levels and C/N margins are more critical for DTV because of the cliff effect. I believe the study was spot on. You seem to believe that everyone still uses NTSC occasionally. I would agree that many homes still have an analog receiver with rabbit ears, but I doubt that most of these sets will be upgraded with a convertor box, much less an improved antenna system.

The one area where there is some hope, or room for possible improvement is the use of smart antennas. The NTIA boxes CAN incorporate circuitry for this, but it is not required. Perhaps we will see integrated receivers with smart antennas in the next few years.

But of course, we always knew this.

Of course we did. Now the other 99.99% of the public is about to learn the realities of DTV.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx