[opendtv] Re: News: DIGITAL TV OPENS UP TWO-WAY OPPORTUNITIES

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:33:13 -0500

At 8:11 AM -0800 2/28/08, Kon Wilms wrote:

My condolences. There's a reason it was never adopted by any data
broadcasters... it was a joke.

In general I agree. I dropped out of the process because it was going nowhere - too much emphasis on the DSMC -data carousel technology developed in Europe as a replacement for teletext.

  Given the fact that TV broadcasters are living in a time warp, they
  just might be ready for something like this now...

Doubt it. The entire article is nothing more than free Triveni
marketing. All the 'angles' and 'advantages' have been long since
eclipsed by broadband.

I agree that times have changed, and anything that broadcasters try to do in the "wireless" space will compete with broadband and new competitors in the 700 MHz spectrum (maybe even competitors in the "white spaces."

But broadcasters COULD leverage existing back channels and get into the game using Web technologies.

Targeted advertising? Chuckle.

Targeted advertising is going to be VERY important. But it will probably need a back channel to close the loop with the audience.