[opendtv] Re: News: DIGITAL TV OPENS UP TWO-WAY OPPORTUNITIES

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:29:14 -0500

> As already discussed, you don't want a "back channel" at all.
> Which is why I keep putting in in quotes. In other words, you
> do not want a simple uplink, to be combined with the broadcast
> downlink. That idea, associated with a 20 Mb/s downlink for an
> entire TV market, is completely preposterous.

In case you think this is silly nit-picking of semantics, as I recall,
there was some sort of viewgraph presentation made to the DVB-T on just
such a concept some years ago. As far as I could tell, this came about
because of the overdone hype about what DTV was, which rather completely
misled many legislators into thinking that DTV *provided* interactivity.
So there was a strange idea of adding a wireless uplink to DVB-T, and to
share the broadcast downlink.

Might be okay for a viewgraph presentation to misled legislators. A
better idea is to educate them.

This also became an issue in the DTT deployment in Sardegna, where again
the Governor of that region was misled into believing that somehow DTV
would provide his poorer constituents with an Internet pipe. Only to
discover, to his dismay, that the truly interactive STBs sold had to be
linked to one particular ISP, and by the way that service would not be
free.