[opendtv] Re: New iPhone antenna has same 'death grip'

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 06:28:42 -0500

At 9:25 PM -0500 2/8/11, Mark Aitken wrote:
I read and understood. I was giving others a place to go. 'click' on the various links and plenty to understand. ;-) I was not in conflict with your statements...

And apparently the iPhone antenna is not an issue for Verizon, just as it was much ado about nothing with AT&T.

The AT&T dropped call problems have far more to do with their network than the devices that connect to it. This was true BEFORE I got my first iPhone. I love the capacity control algorithm that AT&T uses. Your perfect connection suddenly turns noisy then drops...

The question is, is all of this due to network capacity issues, or are the carriers purposely dropping calls to build their case for more spectrum?

And as far as the technologies behind each network, the simple fact remains that they are incompatible, requiring different chips in the phones. Verizon has better coverage - especially in more rural areas of the south. AT&T has a better data network that can be used simultaneously with the voice network.

The good news is that everyone is moving to a common radio technology (LTE) and all traffic (voice and data) will be handled by the same chips.

Makes one wonder how long radio broadcasters will keep wasting spectrum for their analog service and start using all of it for better digital service...

Sometimes planned obsolescence can be beneficial when it comes to retiring legacy technologies...