[opendtv] Re: New iPhone antenna has same 'death grip'

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:55:25 -0800

I should have highlighted Bert's comment that I was
replying to. It was:

"I don't see anything that supports the notion that
the antennas can be very different, aside from
possibly the frequency bands Verizon and AT&T
use for 3G"

So my point was, if a CDMA iPhone only needs to
cover two bands, then there is more leeway in the
antenna design. In this case, two antennas for
diversity reception.

Speaking of bands, both Verizon and AT+T have
AWS (1700/2100 MHz) licenses that they are sitting
on. I read somewhere that one of the reasons is
to keep handset manufacturers disinterested in
building AWS capable phones. That way, AT+T
and Verizon get all the snazzy phones and T-Mobile
gets the leftovers.

Ron

On 2/10/2011 8:35 AM, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Ron wrote:

A GSM iPhone is a 5 band gadget. 850, 900, 1800,
1900 and 2100 MHz. A CDMA iPhone is only a
2 band gadget. 800 and 1900 MHz.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

I'm not saying you are implying it, but if anyone gets the impression that GSM iPhones are better than CDMA iPhones because of the number of bands, they are mistaken. In most locations, only two or three bands are used in any given system. For instance, only two bands are used for GSM in North America (850 & 1900) while in Europe, completely different frequencies are employed (900 & 1800). So the only advantage the GSM iPhone has over the "CDMA" iPhone in terms of frequencies is that it can be used in many more countries and continents (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands for other continents).

In considering the two systems, there is a lot of debate over whether the "GSM" or "CDMA" systems will provide better service. Theoretical aspects aside, if the cellular coverage has anything to do with it, Consumer Reports' findings, based on 58,189 survey responses from subscribers, suggest that Verizon will clearly outperform in most major cities.

(http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/phones-mobile-devices/cell-phones-services/cell-phone-service-buying-advice/guide-to-cell-phone-carriers/cell-phone-service-ratings-by-city/cell-service-ratings-by-city.htm)

And I suspect that actual coverage area will also be greater for the Verizon network.

Dan